- Albany Website
- Texas 4-H Shooting Sports
- Animal Science
- 4-H Connect
- TexNat Website
- Aggie Horticulture
- Texas 4-H
- Variety Trials
Welcome to the Shackelford County Office
SHACKELFORD COUNTY is located in north-central west Texas. It has an area of 915 square miles, or 585,818 acres. Altitude ranges from 1,200 feet in the northeastern part of the county to 1,957 feet in the southwest part.
The agricultural industry and oil production and related industries provide a well balanced economy. Beef Cattle, Hunting/Outdoor Recreation, Wheat and Hay yield most of the agricultural income.
Shackelford County was created in 1858 from Bosque County. It was organized in 1874 and was named for Dr. John (Jack) Shackelford, who personally furnished the clothing and arms for more than 75 Red Rovers who fought for Texas’ independence. These men were massacred at Goliad, but the doctor’s life was spared by the Mexicans because of his medical skill. He later wrote an excellent account of the battle.